Friday, April 13, 2012

Can Someone Shed Light on This?

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but I've set a pretty  intense reading goal for myself this year. 100 new books. That's roughly two books a week. That's an AWFUL lot of reading. Not that I mind. You know, being a bookworm and all. The problem with this little goal is simply a matter of time. I never seem to have enough of it. (Which explains why I haven't blogged since mid March. Sorry!!!) So I try and set a little time aside for reading each night. It's usually the last thing I do before going to sleep. But somehow, it's still not enough. I'm currently on my 14th book. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. It's quite popular amongst teenage readers these days (despite the fact that it's a classic), but I just don't get the draw of it. I've met so many people that are all, "Oh my gosh! I love Holden Caulfield! I probably relate to him more than any other fictional character!" Now, I'm not trying to put you down if you are one of these people. I simply don't get it. I'm halfway through the book and all that's happened is Holden has gotten kicked out of school and he doesn't want to tell his parents yet. What is so exciting about that? It's also really, really, really angst-y. Maybe once I finish it and I've experienced the whole novel, it will make more sense and I'll appreciate it more. But until then, could someone please explain to me the allure that it holds? Thanks.

Isaiah 43:2-3a NIV
"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior..."

No comments:

Post a Comment