Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Patience is a Virtue

Today, something dawned on me. I am not a patient person. I'm not. I get frustrated rather easily...much more so than I care to admit. Sometimes, the tiniest thing can set me off. Traffic. Lines at the bank. Waiting for a book at the library. Even my cat.

For some odd reason, I've woken up in the middle of the night nearly every night for the past couple months to discover that my cat is chewing on books, trying to climb to the back of my bookcase, walking across my desk, or meowing for no other reason than to hear herself. I'm not going to lie, it drives me insane. I've had this cat for 13 years and she's only started doing this the past few months. What on earth has happened?

As I was thinking about it this evening, I realized that, to my Savior, I'm just as annoying as my cat. In fact, I'm much more annoying than she is. Without the blood of Jesus, I'm a trouble-maker, just doing things I shouldn't. And yet, God's patience is absolutely overwhelming. Though time and time again, I slip, He is there to pick me up. Despite all my shortcomings, all my fears, all my failures, He is patient with me. He still loves me. He still forgives me. I may get into all sorts of mess, but He is right there, waiting for me to call on Him.

When I think about it, God's patience is one of His greatest gifts, and one that I can never hope to understand. Far too often I forget that, and it's something that I'd do well to remember.

Colossians 3:12 NIV
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
Galatians 5:22-23 ESV
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control; against such things there is no law.

No comments:

Post a Comment