Thursday, January 8, 2015

A New Thing

Happy New Year! This is the time that people sit down and reflect on the past 365 days, and resolve to make changes. I'm not a huge fan of resolutions, but I do like fresh starts. I'm a huge fan of fresh starts, actually. It's why I love the first day of school, New Year celebrations, cracking open a new book, coming home from a vacation, and all that jazz. This is my "fresh start" to my blog.

If you know me at all, then you are well aware of the fact that I enjoy reading from time to time. I mean, I'm the kind of girl who selects a purse based on whether or not I can fit a book in it. (Hence my refusal to use a clutch in the rare event that that's a viable option.) Anyway, I'm always in the middle of one book or another, and I've come to the realization that I'd like to talk about them upon their conclusion. So, I'm going to start reviewing some of them as I go along. In a perfect world, I'd aspire to review all of them, but we all know that I'm bad at keeping up with things like this. These aren't going to be super in-depth reviews; they're just going to be a way for me to sort out what I like/dislike about a book, so that I have a record of my thoughts should I ever choose to revisit them.

I'm hoping that in doing this I will not only create this record of my scattered and fleeting thoughts, but that it will also make me visit my blog with a bit more regularity. Again, if you've been here before, you know that that's a thing I've wanted for the past two years.

My Goodreads goal for this year is 50 books. Within that, I hope to read at least 12 classics, and also expand my horizons a bit, generally speaking. I found a reading challenge that has 50 books on it, but it isn't specific books. It is more along the lines of suggestions (a Pulitzer Prize winner, something set in the future, a book with a one word title, etc), most of which will help with the diversifying of my reading habits. So we will see how that goes. There is also a challenge floating around the internet known as #0by16, and the purpose of this is to get your TBR stack down to zero by 2016. Ideally, I'd accomplish this, but I think that's more than I can chew at this point in time. If I get my 50 down, though, that will help tremendously. 

So there you have it. My sort-of resolution that isn't really a resolution. Books. Discussions. Excitement. Huzzah!

1 comment: