Monday, August 5, 2013

Foiled Plans

Do you ever plan something and then it doesn't work out the way you thought it would? Because that seems to be how my life goes. As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to spend my summer with my brother and sister-in-law.I had this brilliant vision of coming out here, getting an awesome part time job, spending tons of time with my family, and being all around busy.

Did that happen? Yeah. Not so much.

I submitted a bunch of job applications and none of them worked out. My sister-in-law has spent the better part of the last month out of state training for a new job, and my brother has the weirdest work schedule EVER. Also, not having a car has severely limited my adventuring options. So I've spent the summer sitting on the couch reading (I have completed 7 and a half books) and watching TV shows (9 seasons and counting).

At first, I was on the disappointed side of things. But now that I've had some time to think about it and talk through it with a couple of people, I'm realizing that this was probably a really good thing. I thought what I needed was a job and things to do, when what I've really needed was a genuine break. A time when I could relax, and de-stress after the last quarter of school. A time to rejuvenate. This break has been such a blessing, especially since this kind of thing rarely happens...to anybody, really.

It has also been yet another learning experience. (I feel like 2013 has just been a year for that.) I've learned that I like to keep busy. So as much as I might not like my job at home, it is better than not having a job at all. I've learned that relationships are important to me. I used to think that I could easily be a hermit and not deal with anyone. Yet I get so excited to see the people that I've come to know here. I'm treasuring the time I have been getting with everyone. Plus I miss all my California people.

These have been pretty great things to realize, and this has been an awesome way to figure it all out. So now, I have about a month or so longer before I head home, and I'm determined to make the most of it. To be content in my circumstance. To enjoy the relaxation. To revel in the stress-free zone. And to recognize that God knew I needed this break. To thank Him for foiling my plan.

 I Corinthians 8:3 ESV
But if anyone loves God, he is known by God.




No comments:

Post a Comment