Saturday, June 16, 2012

Summer and Reflection

Well, friends, I made it. I have survived my freshman year of college. That is a slightly unnerving thing. When I look back over the past year, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that I graduated from high school, and have completed 25% of my undergrad. I feel like graduation was just the other day. Time seriously does speed up the older you get, and it really freaks me out. I know this is all mushy and nostalgic, but mostly, it's weird. Don't get me wrong, it's a fabulous weird, but weird none-the-less. All of a sudden everything is much more grown-up-y, and there is so much more responsibility.

Here is a list of things I learned this year at college:

1. You are going to have professors you like and professors you don't like. And I'm just going to leave it at that.
2. Some classes are going to be good, and others are going to teach you nothing but patience and self-control. I especially learned this this past quarter. There were moments when I literally wanted to throw things because certain material was complete and utter hogwash. God held my hand through a lot of frustration in the past 11 weeks.
3. Pay attention when setting your schedule. Yes. Going to school twice a week and getting five GE's knocked out in one quarter is superb. But after having scheduled them so tight that making it from one class to the next is a hassle, I've learned to pay attention to where my classes are when I register.
4. Don't lose your syllabi. Personally, I didn't have this problem as I pride myself on my organizational skills, so  I always knew where they were. But if I did lose one (or more), I would have been in VERY bad shape.
5. Talk to people. While this kinda seems like a no-brainer, it's not something that I did too much. I almost missed out on a couple of great friendships because it was halfway through a quarter before I realized that we had nearly EVERYTHING in common. Friendships aren't going to happen overnight, and they take effort. It's up to you to seek them out and cultivate them.It is also helpful to know at least one person in all your classes so if you miss a day, you can get notes/email them assignments to turn in for you.
6. Sleep is good. I'm such an old lady and I love my sleep. It is actually true that you perform better (ie-learn more, test better) when you aren't fighting to stay awake during your lecture on Death of a Salesman.
7. Make your professor know who you are. Speak up in class. Ask questions. Email them. They'll love you (or at the very least, appreciate you) for it. And when you're on your professor's good side, your academic life is a much happier world.

Basically, college takes a bit of getting used to, but it is definitely manageable. And like every other year that I've been a student, I am more than a tad excited to have three glorious months of no class to encroach on my reading time. =)

Matthew 5:6-10 NIV
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment